Yesterday and today were the last days of my internship. Yesterday I made a huge push and fully organized and counted the rounded abstracts category and its subcategories. Today I worked on the pointed abstracts category. In total, there were about 1600 original abstract prints and drawings, and 1800 total. The only other really large category was mythology, with about 900 total prints and drawings. Nothing else totaled above 600. Here is a close-up of the abstract portfolios so you can see the bulk of the category. On top of the portfolios are the matted abstract prints and drawings.
After I finished counting the abstracts, I tallied up the totals. Drum roll please. The approximate total number of original prints and drawings in the collection is 3164, and the total at 4581! I am very happy that I followed this project from the beginning to the end. I started with 32 large unorganized portfolios and ended with several categories and subcategories organized and stored and labeled. Now they are ready to be cataloged and photographed for the records. I can't believe I was not more overwhelmed at first. Here is a photograph of the final organized, counted, labeled and stored portfolios!
After I finished, I gave Kristina and Peter (the director) a tour of the portfolios. The staff also threw a little party for me which was very sweet of them. I want to thank everyone at the museum for being so welcoming and kind. It really made the experience a very pleasant one, and I will miss everyone there! I also want to thank Stephen for being my faculty adviser and supporting me throughout the semester.
The internship was a very informative one. For example, in addition to my specific tasks, it was helpful for my future professional life to experience being part of a museum's daily workings. I feel very accomplished for finishing such a large scale project and will take a lot away from the experience.
Thank you for reading!
Ashley
No comments:
Post a Comment