Fitchburgh Art Museum

Fitchburgh Art Museum
FAM

Thursday, April 7, 2011

New exhibitions

This week at the FAM the staff is getting ready to open the new Egyptian galleries, the temporary African show and the Phyllis Galembo photography temporary show. We needed all hands on deck, so I was pulled from the Merriam Parkway room to help out yesterday and today.

Yesterday I focused on making the labels for the Galembo show. They begin as simple printouts on regular pieces of paper. You have to measure about 3/4" of an inch above and below the text. Then you have to glue the paper to matte or foam core, depending on the thickness you want. Once everything is glued down, the matte is placed into a large vacuum where the paper becomes suctioned to the matte. Then the last step is to painstakingly cut the matte board into the individual labels.

This morning the FAM received the Phyllis Galembo photographs for the show that opens this weekend. The photographs are incredibly beautiful. Check out her website at http://www.galembo.com/.

To help Kristina out, I spent most of the day unwrapping the photographs and doing Condition Reports. This is basically just another step in the loan process to make sure once the works are returned to the loaner that all of the little scratches and things were not the borrowers fault. Next week I will show you some photographs of the new temporary exhibitions!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment