Yesterday and today I continued organizing the prints and drawings. Yesterday I really focused on the "animals" and "religion" sections. Most of the animals were done in the 1980's and early 1990's when Pickhardt was older. The prints and drawings are mostly of sheep and highland cattle. Below I have posted a charcoal drawing of a sheep that I liked. The bulk of the religion section is of prints and drawings focused on the life of Christ, and a lot of those prints had many copies. Compared to a lot of his other prints and drawings, these are much more emotional and dark with stronger compositions. Below I have included The Agony in the Garden and Ecce Homo.
Today I focused on the "miscellaneous" section. In that section there are a lot of self-portraits from all periods of Pickhardt's life. It was interesting seeing his own perception of his face changed as time progresssed. Also in the miscellaneous section are a lot of "Heart Figures", as Pickhardt titled them. He created dozens of women with the heart shape. It was a type of figure study but with geometry. Also among the miscellaneous prints and drawings were some notes and a tool he created on how to do aquatints. The tool shows how the different times the prints sit correspond to how dark the shading or outline of the print will be. In addition to this aquatint technique study, I have included an image of Pickhardt's Double Self-Portrait and two Heart Figures.
Also, today Kristina and I decided what portfolios to buy to keep and store the prints and drawings in. In order to figure out which portfolios to purchase, it was important to figure out the sizes first, so I spent a lot of time yesterday measuring the different sizes of the prints and drawings. There is quite a variety of sizes. The matted prints and drawings will take up the most space as they are the largest and the thickest, and the little sketches done on scraps of paper the least.
Lastly, thanks to Kristina, I was in the FAM newsletter!
Ashley
No comments:
Post a Comment